1/24/2020 - What to Do If You Are Ill
- Your health and the health of the public are the most important concerns regarding illness caused by COVID-19, originating in Wuhan, China.
- Criteria from the CDC for patients who may be ill with COVID-19 from Wuhan, China are fever AND lower respiratory illness (cough or difficulty breathing) AND recent travel in Wuhan China or contact with known suspected cases of this new infection.
What to do:
- Please call before going to a healthcare facility. Please contact Caltech Student Wellness Services (626) 395-6393 if you are ill or have concerns. If the center is closed, contact the local hospital emergency room. Please state your symptoms and your travel history.
- Prior to your evaluation, you should avoid being in communal settings such as public areas and public transportation. You should wear a face mask when not in a private room and generally avoid other people. You should cover your coughs or sneezes, wash hand frequently, and avoid sharing food, drink, utensils or other items that may have oral or respiratory secretions.
- You will be evaluated in a private room with both you and the healthcare provider wearing masks. The instructions from the local public health department will be followed for any further testing or management.
- There is currently no specific viral treatment or vaccine for this new virus. Treatment is directed towards your symptoms. Please contact the healthcare facility if you feel worse.
- Evaluation is important so you have proper care and the spread of this infection can be limited.