This week's COVID-19 news and updates
Week of May 17, 2021
- As local conditions continue to improve and Los Angeles County gradually reopens, Caltech is monitoring updates to public health guidance and will review policies accordingly:
- For now, the Institute's requirement that individuals wear face coverings indoors remains unchanged;
- To prepare for the return of undergraduates to on-campus residences this summer, all undergraduate student residents will now be required to receive COVID-19 vaccination;
- In accord with local health protocols, Caltech will invite up to 400 fully vaccinated bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree candidates to attend an in-person screening of a virtual ceremony that marks this commencement on June 11.
- Access to facilities and resources on campus is being expanded, including additional athletic and recreational opportunities.
- All individuals reporting to campus, regardless of vaccination status, are expected to adhere to the Institute's guidelines for physical distancing, enhanced hygiene practice, and participation in the on-campus surveillance testing program. Caltech's continued research operations depend on the community's compliance with these rules and local health orders.
Caltech is committed to providing the educational, research, and residential experience that is at the core of our mission. In turn, we all have a responsibility and must commit to practices that protect the health and well-being of the entire community and mitigate the spread of infection on campus. Read the full statement.
May 18, 2021
Updates on vaccination policy, testing requirements, and repopulating campus
Caltech has updated policies regarding vaccination, testing, travel, on-campus gatherings and events, and the return of employees to onsite work in the months ahead.
May 14, 2021
Caltech Face Covering Requirement Remains Unchanged
While we continue to review the CDC's new recommendations and to consult with local health authorities on the potential implications for Caltech, the recent change in federal guidance on face coverings does not immediately change the Institute's practice or policies.
May 5, 2021
Caltech's Summer Plans and Undergraduates' Return to Campus Approved
Beginning June 14, Caltech will house up to 385 fully vaccinated undergraduate students participating in on-campus research, learning, and training activities.