12/30/2020 - New COVID-19 cases reported to Caltech
You may sign up to receive email notifications of each new positive COVID-19 case reported to Caltech Student Wellness Services.
From: Jennifer Howes, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Wellness
Re: New COVID-19 case reported to Caltech
Between December 28 and December 30, Student Wellness Services (SWS) has learned that three members of the Caltech community have tested positive for COVID-19.
- Two individuals reported positive test results through community testing via the COVID-19 Reporting Application.
- A faculty member received a positive test result on December 29, and last accessed campus on November 30.
- A staff member received a positive test result on December 29, and last accessed campus on December 23.
- One individual was identified through symptomatic testing at SWS.
- A campus staff member tested positive on December 29, and last accessed campus on December 23.
All affected individuals are now isolating. In collaboration with the Pasadena Public Health Department (PPHD), SWS will identify and notify anyone in the campus community who may have had close contact with any of these individuals. Anyone found to be at risk of exposure will be provided specific instructions for quarantining and isolation.
This brings the total number of reported COVID-19 cases among members of the Caltech campus community and off-campus facilities to 114 since March 2020.
Winter break testing schedule: Testing for symptomatic individuals who report illness through the COVID-19 Reporting Application will be available on December 24 and December 28-31, by appointment only and for a limited period each day. Due to limited SWS staffing during the break, members of the Caltech community are encouraged to contact their primary healthcare provider or seek community options for access to additional testing resources. egular updates to the COVID-19 Dashboard will resume on January 4.
It is imperative that all members of our community remain diligent in adhering to all preventative measures and county and city health orders that have been implemented to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, especially as we face increasing transmission and infection rates locally and nationwide.
The safety and well-being of Caltech's students, staff, and faculty is our top priority. All members of the Caltech community are asked to:
- Notify SWS if you have been exposed to anyone with a positive test for COVID-19;
- Stay home if you are ill or have a fever;
- Use the Caltech COVID-19 Reporting application on the days you are scheduled to be on site;
- Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol;
- Wear a face covering (an independent faculty group has explored the effectiveness of several dozen commercially available masks – access.caltech credentials required); and
- Maintain a minimum of six feet of physical distance from others on campus.
More information about Caltech's response to the pandemic can be found on the Caltech Together coronavirus website. Reports of illness, testing metrics, and confirmed case counts can be found on a dedicated dashboard. Please note that JPL tracks COVID-19 cases separately and is not included in these data.