12/3/2021 - New COVID-19 case reported to Caltech
You may sign up to receive email notifications of each new positive COVID-19 case reported to Caltech Student Wellness Services.
To: The Campus Community
From: Jennifer Howes, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Wellness
In the past 24 hours, Student Wellness Services (SWS) learned that one member of the Caltech community has tested positive for COVID-19.
- A graduate student who does not live in Caltech housing tested positive on December 3 and reported it through the COVID-19 Reporting Application. The individual last accessed campus on December 2.
The affected individual is now isolating. In collaboration with the Pasadena Public Health Department (PPHD), SWS will identify and notify anyone in the Caltech community who may have had close contact with this individual. Anyone found to be at risk of exposure will be provided specific instructions for quarantining and isolation.
This brings the total number of reported COVID-19 cases among members of the Caltech campus community and off-campus facilities to 281 since March 2020.
The Institute's vaccination policies require that all employees and students document their full vaccination status or have an approved exemption on file, and that those with an exemption participate in mandatory twice-weekly surveillance testing. In addition, all undergraduate students—regardless of vaccination status and living location—and graduate students living in Caltech housing are required to participate in the twice-weekly surveillance testing program.
The Institute's self-collection surveillance testing program is facilitated through an on-site laboratory located in the Beckman Institute. Fully vaccinated employees and visitors or external affiliates who report to campus for work or other activities are able to voluntarily opt-in to participate in the program.
It is imperative that all members of our community remain diligent in adhering to all preventative measures and to county and city health orders that have been implemented to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
The safety and well-being of Caltech's students, staff, and faculty is our top priority. All members of the Caltech community are expected to:
- Immediately notify SWS if you are ill, have had a positive test for COVID-19, or have been exposed to anyone with a positive test for COVID-19.
- Stay home if you are ill, have a fever, or have otherwise been instructed to quarantine or isolate.
- Participate in Caltech's surveillance testing program when you report to campus if you have an approved exemption, are an enrolled undergraduate student, or are a graduate student living in Caltech housing.
- Regularly wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol
- Wear a face covering when indoors.
More information about Caltech's response to the pandemic can be found on the Caltech Together coronavirus website. Reports of illness, testing metrics, and confirmed case counts can be found on a dedicated dashboard. Please note that JPL tracks COVID-19 cases separately and is not included in these data.