9/7/2021 - New COVID-19 cases reported to Caltech
You may sign up to receive email notifications of each new positive COVID-19 case reported to Caltech Student Wellness Services.
From: Jennifer Howes, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Wellness
Re: New COVID-19 cases reported to Caltech
Over the weekend, Student Wellness Services (SWS) learned that two members of the Caltech community tested positive for COVID-19.
- A graduate student who does not live in Caltech housing was identified through symptomatic testing at SWS on September 3 and last accessed campus on September 2.
- A staff member was tested off campus on September 3 and reported a positive test result through the COVID-19 Reporting Application. This individual last accessed campus on September 1.
The affected individuals are now isolating. In collaboration with the Pasadena Public Health Department (PPHD), SWS will identify and notify anyone in the Caltech community who may have had close contact with these individuals. Anyone found to be at risk of exposure will be provided specific instructions for quarantining and isolation.
This brings the total number of reported COVID-19 cases among members of the Caltech campus community and off-campus facilities to 249 since March 2020.
Any individual who is officially enrolled at or employed by the Institute, or works on behalf of Caltech, including students, faculty members, postdoctoral scholars, staff members, and registered visitors and volunteers, is required to submit proof of their fully vaccinated status with the COVID-19 Vaccination Documentation application. This includes individuals who report to or access campus facilities even on an occasional or one-day-a-week basis.
All community members who have not yet reported their fully vaccinated status must participate in the Institute's self-collection surveillance testing program, which is facilitated through an on-site laboratory located in the Beckman Institute. Visitors or external affiliates who report to campus for work or other activities for a month or longer are encouraged but not required to participate in these protocols and should contact their Caltech account or contract manager for further information.
It is imperative that all members of our community remain diligent in adhering to all preventative measures and to county and city health orders that have been implemented to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
The safety and well-being of Caltech's students, staff, and faculty is our top priority. All members of the Caltech community are expected to:
- Immediately notify SWS if you are ill, have had a positive test for COVID-19, or have been exposed to anyone with a positive test for COVID-19.
- Stay home if you are ill, have a fever, or have otherwise been instructed to quarantine or isolate.
- Submit proof of your vaccination status through the COVID-19 Vaccination Reporting tool;
- Participate in Caltech's surveillance testing program when you report to campus if you are not fully vaccinated or have not yet documented your fully vaccinated status with the Institute. This requirement extends to all community members who are officially enrolled at, employed by, or working on behalf of the Institute and who report to or access campus facilities even on an occasional or one-day-a-week basis
- Regularly wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol; and
- Wear a face covering when indoors.
More information about Caltech's response to the pandemic can be found on the Caltech Together coronavirus website. Reports of illness, testing metrics, and confirmed case counts can be found on a dedicated dashboard. Please note that JPL tracks COVID-19 cases separately and is not included in these data.