6/30/2021 - New COVID-19 case reported to Caltech
You may sign up to receive email notifications of each new positive COVID-19 case reported to Caltech Student Wellness Services.
From: Jennifer Howes, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Wellness
Re: New COVID-19 case reported to Caltech
On June 30, 2021, Student Wellness Services (SWS) learned that a Caltech staff member received a positive result for COVID-19 by a confirmatory diagnostic test conducted at SWS. The test was administered following the identification of a positive sample pool processed through the Institute's surveillance testing program:
- The individual tested positive on June 30 and last accessed campus on June 29.
Individuals who participate in the surveillance program have been instructed to continue with their normally scheduled activities and responsibilities unless contacted by SWS. Please note that specimens collected through the surveillance program take up to 48 hours to process. Participants do not receive individual-level results from the Caltech Covid Surveillance Lab (CCSL). Any positive screening through the surveillance lab will be referred for confirmatory diagnostic testing by SWS. Individuals with a positive diagnostic test result from SWS will isolate and participate in contact tracing.
The affected individual is now isolating. In collaboration with the Pasadena Public Health Department (PPHD), SWS will identify and notify anyone in the campus community who may have had close contact with this individual. Anyone found to be at risk of exposure will be provided specific instructions for quarantining and isolation.
This brings the total number of reported COVID-19 cases among members of the Caltech campus community and off-campus facilities to 202 since March 2020.
Caltech requires that any individual who is officially enrolled, employed, or managed by the Institute and who reports to or accesses campus facilities even on an occasional or one-day-a-week basis, including students, faculty members, postdoctoral scholars, staff members, and registered visitors and volunteers, submit proof of their fully vaccinated status with the COVID-19 Vaccination Documentation tool. All community members who have not yet reported their fully vaccinated status must participate in the Institute's updated surveillance testing program, which has shifted to a self-collection process that is facilitated through an on-site laboratory located in the Beckman Institute. Other visitors or external affiliates who are reporting to campus for work or other activities for a month or longer are encouraged but not required to participate in these protocols, and should contact their Caltech account or contract manager for further information.
It is imperative that all members of our community remain diligent in adhering to all preventative measures and county and city health orders that have been implemented to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
CCSL is exploring collaborations with external resources for sequencing of any samples that screen for SARS-CoV-2. Such sequencing would provide the Institute with insight into the strains or variants of the virus that are present in our community. More information will be provided to the community when and if it is available.
The safety and well-being of Caltech's students, staff, and faculty is our top priority. All members of the Caltech community are asked to:
- Notify SWS if you have been exposed to anyone with a positive test for COVID-19;
- Stay home if you are ill or have a fever;
- Submit proof of your vaccination status with the COVID-19 Vaccination Reporting tool;
- Participate in Caltech's surveillance testing program when you report to campus if you are not fully vaccinated or have not yet documented your fully vaccinated status with the Institute. This requirement extends to all community members who are officially enrolled, employed, or managed by the Institute and who report to or access campus facilities even on an occasional or one-day-a-week basis.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol; and
- Wear a face covering indoors if you are not fully vaccinated. This applies to all community members, visitors, external affiliates, and others accessing campus for any amount of time. (Employees and students are required to have confirmed their vaccination status through the Institute's COVID-19 Vaccination Documentation tool to be considered fully vaccinated.)
Other visitors or external affiliates who are reporting to campus for work or other activities for a month or longer are encouraged but not required to participate in these protocols. These individuals should contact their Caltech account or contract manager for further information.
More information about Caltech's response to the pandemic can be found on the Caltech Together coronavirus website. Reports of illness, testing metrics, and confirmed case counts can be found on a dedicated dashboard. Please note that JPL tracks COVID-19 cases separately and is not included in these data.