This week's COVID-19 news and updates
Week of March 1, 2021
- Caltech strongly encourages all members of the community to be vaccinated at the earliest point they are eligible to do so. Los Angeles County officials have expanded eligibility to include college and university employees, including faculty, staff, postdocs, and researchers, as well as students who work onsite at a college or university. You will need to provide documentation of your employment: a Caltech ID, paystub, or employment verification letter. To further explore eligibility requirements, and to make an appointment if eligible, see the county and state vaccination appointment sites. The City of Pasadena also will be hosting vaccination clinics over the next week.
- All individuals reporting to campus, regardless of vaccination status, are expected to adhere to the Institute's guidelines for physical distancing, enhanced hygiene practice, mask wearing, and participation in the on-campus surveillance testing program. Caltech's continued research operations depend on the community's compliance with these rules and local health orders.
- Caltech's undergraduate academic program will continue to be remote-learning only in the spring term. The Institute has initiated discussions with public health officials to secure permission to operate on-campus undergraduate programs and activities over the summer, which we believe will serve as a critical step toward planning for a safe return to in-person instruction and residential living in the fall.
- Caltech's application to be a community-based provider of COVID-19 vaccines has been approved, though it is not yet clear how many vaccines we can expect to receive or when we will receive them.
- An independent faculty group has explored the effectiveness of several dozen commercially available masks (access.caltech credentials required)
Caltech is committed to providing the educational, research, and residential experience that is at the core of our mission. In turn, we all have a responsibility and must commit to practices that protect the health and well-being of the entire community and mitigate the spread of infection on campus. Read the full statement.
March 4, 2021
City of Pasadena Vaccine Clinics
The City of Pasadena is offering over the next week a number of vaccine clinics for individuals who are eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
March 4, 2021
Caltech's 127th Commencement Ceremony
Caltech will be holding a virtual degree conferral and graduation ceremony on Friday, June 11, 2021, coupled with plans for an in-person celebration for both the 2020 and 2021 graduates later in 2021.
March 1, 2021
The Pasadena Public Health Department has also expanded its eligibility criteria to include higher education employees. There will be multiple PPHD clinics for higher education employees in Pasadena this week.